Saturday, July 28, 2007

Initial research

Much of this week has been involved in aircraft modeling. The rest of the week has been devoted to research.

I have been focusing on the Solomons Islands area as the initial area of interest (for CFS3). Initially I am considering using SRTM 3 arc second DEM data (i.e. 90 metres between grid co-ordinates.) I think CFS3 Europe used the old gtopo30 or dted0 data for its data (30arc seconds), which is at 1km resolution, thus SRTM 3arc data is 10 times the resolution. Until I actually attempt to create the theatre I don't know how the CFS3 engine will handle it. Given the large areas of sea in that locale it may work. Failing that, SRTM30 data will work.
I just want to add that there is even higher resolution terrain data available, SRTM 1 arc second (30 metres). Presently this is only publicly available for the USA and a few other countries. However there is free publicly available 30M data for the Hawaiian Islands. Maybe someone will create a Pearl Harbour theatre at this resolution?

As I mentioned above, much of the week has involved research. This has involved finding as many images as possible of that area, both present and past; researching the WW2 history of that region, indeed the South West Pacific region; and also aircraft used during ww2 in the Solomons. Yep I hope to model a couple of aircraft for the Pacific theatre. I have ordered a book on the Nakajima A6M2-N Rufe and will probably start that soon. Another aircraft has yet to be decided. This afternoon I have been researching the ground cover of the islands which was largely rainforest interspersed with copra plantations.

Creating a new theatre such as this will involve much work, not only terrain, but texture tiles too and re-working of the landclass system. So the theatre will take a bit of time.

The CFS3 terrain SDK is starting to make a little more sense to me now and hopefully I will decide on the initial test area in the next couple of days and start processing.

I still intend to post some links on various resources from history to GIS ... so keep watching (all two of you...if that - LOL).

cheers

Rob

No comments: