Sunday, July 6, 2008

Change of Blog Title & Scope.

I have changed the title of the blog as I am moving the focus away from CFS3. I still have a long term project in mind for CFS3. However as I have mentioned in previous blogs, water body data matching coastlines is a bit of a problem with higher resolution terrain mesh. Presently the only solution is hand editing water body data. As to CFS3 it may be best to use lower resolution mesh. That will be determined by experimentation. MAW looks as if it used SRTM 30 or early SRTM 90M interpolated with GTOPO30 dem data. The islands are much smoother than SRTM 90M v3, as are the coasts. Thus mesh at a lower resolution may work a little better.

Anyway I have started a Europe2 project for CFS3 with a rough timetable of approximately one year. I have already created a mesh sans water bodies, land class and vector data. It is slightly larger, about the same size as MAW, and a little bit further north of the current ETO theatre and will accommodate mainland Britain and Denmark, plus little bits of Norway & Sweden (no Orkney Islands unfortunately). Any water body editing that I do will be useful in other projects in the world of GIS.... not necessarily flight simulations. A couple of hours every other day is planned for coastline editing.

I have other simulations in mind in addition to or instead of CFS3. In the meantime personal circumstances take precedence. When I discover something of note or have something to show I will post. But I anticipate posts will be somewhat haphazard. I am in quite a bit of pain with cancer which is affecting my ability to sit at a computer at present.

Until then....

cheers

Rob

No comments: