Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Water Body post script

Looking around the web I have come to the conclusion that using hand edited SWBD data for water mesh is the best way to go. That's what I have done already. The other alternative was NGA's Global Shoreline data which is currently WIP. The NGA data is pretty good, though unfinished in places. I did find that it overlapped the coast on the SRTM data. There is very little that does not, though in CFS3 that may cause spiking. The CFS3 terrain engine was designed with much lower res data in mind.

In tonight's 2 hours, I re-edited NE England. I find it easier to delete the vertices and re-do, tracing along the caostline. The quest for software to simplify and smooth the vector shorelines continues. Map Shaper either over does or under does the smoothing though it is a good start. Unfortunately at times, it chooses not to work and does not work on my Vista 64 PC. Tomorrow I resume the texture work on the Sopwith Snipe for FSX. On the terrain front I'll experiment with CSV exchange between Global Mapper and Excel.

Rob

PS - Just found a PDF that illustrates what I am finding with SWBD data. http://www.scenerysolutions.com/doc/SRTMData.pdf

No comments: