Monday, August 20, 2007

Partial Success

I now have a couple of CFS3 theatres partially up & running. At this stage I have only completed the basics to get a map area operational.

Currently I have to commute daily to hospital for radiotherapy, which can take up to five hours out of my day if I have lunch & do a bit of shopping. Transport from my home on the island, to the hospital only takes just over an hour, but the return trip can take 3 hours given timetable gaps in the public transport system. Thus my experiments in terrain creation are somewhat punctuated. I also hope to resume aircraft creation once I am sure I have the main issues in terrain/scenery creation under control. All this is for relaxation LOL.

I have experimented with mixed results. So far I have yet to see any benefit using the CFS3 SDK with hires mesh, though I have more experiments to carry out this week The tiff2msh tool is where things currently fall down as to resolution. I also experienced interesting results with the landclass system which I will fully explore, once I have a nice terrain mesh working.

Also problems with water occur around some of the coastlines causing spikes in the water polys. I am trying to determine whether it is a DEM problem or a problem with some of the SWBD vector data, or whether it is a CFS3 terrain SDK issue or a Global Mapper issue.

I am being a bit circumspect in writing this. I'd like to disclose a bit more, especially some of my explorations as I go along. However with rivalry situations that exist from time to time in various CFS & FS communities I'll keep quiet until I have something to show. I am doing this for relaxation and don't want to be stampeded into competitive situations, which I can see happening.

The other person creating terrains & theatres for CFS3, Ed Wilson, is quietly getting on with his creations just like me, and I have no problems with that and I admire his achievements. After all MAW did inspire me somewhat to experiment with terrain/scenery creation. There are others however, who are prone to creating competitive situations.

One thing I will say though, is that those who liked what I acheived with the CFS3 & FSX Bristol Fighter, can look forward to the same approach in the world of scenery.

However one thing at a time.

cheers

Rob

No comments: