Sunday, August 26, 2007

Update Sunday

My CFS3 terrain experiments still continue. I managed to create a group of islands at an image stride & LOD of 64 meters which gave me a buzz this morning. What amazed me was that frame rates were barely affected. The verdict is out as to whether mesh at this resolution is worthwhile. The 64m LOD took all night to compile and takes about 600mb space. A 128m LOD (at 64m stride) only takes a couple of hours to compile and is about 140mb in size.

As to coastline data, I find that hand digitising of coastlines worked best in my current theatre. Of course such is a bit unweildy in areas with hundreds of islands. The problem with the CFS3 terrain engine & tools is that if a shoreline lines up with terrain at an altitude of more than a couple of meters it produces a sliver like spike radiating from the shoreline across the ocean, like a mini tsunami if you get down close and have a look at it. I notice a few in the Solomons theatre as well as my own experiments.

Anyway on to tidy up my coastlines - there are still a few glitches. The next step will be landclass & scenery, it's all very generic at this stage. This will keep me going maybe a couple of weeks.

No comments: