Sunday, August 12, 2007

Update

Following on my last post it appears that I am not the only person working on a Solomons theatre for CFS3 as witness the current news on the Korean Skies page.

In many ways that is good news and I am generally pleased. I don't object to anyone else making terrain for the Solomons or elsewhere. There are heaps of areas I want to create & experiment with and I could have possibly chosen an other area to start with. Anyway I wish Ed well with it.

I have learned a great deal in the last week. The CFS3 SDK tools to convert DEM files to mesh appear to work ok. They even allow the creation of rectangular as opposed to square maps. Unfortunately this is not the case with tool that converts landclass maps to lcf files. It only accepts square maps. Why the rest of the SDK allows for rectangular maps and the landclass tool does not is beyond me... you should have heard me cursing.

I am currently working on water polygons derived from SWBD data. Unfortunately the data contains shapes for many of the islands instead of empty space. I have to convert many small islands to holes in the water by hand....painstaking & I still don't know how the CFS3 water tools will cope with such hi-resolution data......more cussing on the way perhaps? LOL

Anyway back to square one. I will still persevere with the Solomons area as my learning & test area given that I have come so far and carried out much research. I will at least get it into the sim. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the Korean Skies version. Whether I will ever release it..... who knows? I have a great many theatres large & small in many parts of the world from 1914 to 1960's that I would like to attempt. Of course given the contrary way the world operates MS might surprise us all and announce a new CFS.... that would be a long time coming if they did... plenty of time to create for CFS3 ;)

cheers

Rob

No comments: